Knowing how to use text to speech for Quizlet can improve accessibility to the website’s learning tools. Its flashcards, test and other materials are perfect for text to speech technology, whether using existing content or making your own.
In this article, you’ll learn how to use text to speech for Quizlet.
How to Use Text to Speech for Quizlet – What is it?
Quizlet is a learning services company that allows users to create and use flashcards. It also includes learning games, tests, and live quizzes that are designed to improve memory retention. As of 2022, it has more than 500 million flashcard sets and 60 million monthly users.
What Can be Learned with the Help of Quizlet?
There is a large scale of subjects to study on Quizlet. It can help you with learning math and science as well as practicing foreign languages. Also, by signing up for Quizlet Plus, you can find other subjects such as art and humanities.
How to Sign Up for a Free Account on Quizlet
- Go to the Quizlet website on your browser
- Click the Sign Up option
- Enter your birthday
- Enter your email address and create a password
- If you are a teacher, select the “I am a Teacher” option
- Click Sign Up
- Verify your email address
If you want to use Quizlet on your phone or tablet, you can download the app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
Why is Using Flashcards Beneficial for Learning?
Flashcards are very easy to use, and they provide faster learning progress thanks to their practical use. The flashcards include various types of testing and questions such as gap-filling, multiple-choice, or open-ended questions.
On the front side of each flashcard, you can see the questions. When you click on the card, the card spins around, and the answer appears. The flashcards are quite timesaver so that students are able to gain knowledge in a faster way.
Why Use Text to Speech for Quizlet?
Quizlet’s format is almost perfectly made for text to speech technology. Flashcards and quizzes generally use simple language and short sentences, making them easy for AI text to speech software to understand. While the topics may be complicated, the language is intentionally simple to aid memory retention.
Text to speech has the following use cases:
- Allows people to learn on the go when they might not be able to look at a screen
- Helps people with accessibility concerns access the content, for example, those with dyslexia
- If you’re using Quizlet to learn a foreign language, text to speech could help with pronunciation
How to Use Text to Speech for Quizlet
Unfortunately, Quizlet doesn’t have its own dedicated text to speech software. This means the process to use text to speech for Quizlet is a bit more complicated and depends on the device you’re using to access the service. You have a few options for this:
How to Use Text to Speech for Quizlet – Third-Party Service
The first option is to use a third-party text to speech service. You’d do the following:
- Open up the flashcard set you want to use.
- Copy content from the flashcards into your chosen text to speech platform. You’ll need to go through the whole flashcard set to get all the content (headings and answers).
- Paste it into your text to speech page, adding any helpful extra content. For example, you might want to label sections as questions and answers.
- Once everything is formatted, allow the platform to create an audio file of the written content.
- If you have the option, it might help to change the speaking speed so you can follow the information more easily.
How to Use Text to Speech for Quizlet – Browser Extension
A similar option is to install a text to speech browser extension if you use Chrome. The steps are as follows:
- Select your text to speech browser extension from the Chrome store. Install it as normal. Some of the most frequently used Text to Speech programs in browsers are Natural Reader, Capti Voice, Read Aloud, and Talkie: Text to Speech.
- Make sure you’re choosing a text to speech API service that’ll integrate properly into other websites. Extensions should give you this information when you search for them.
- Visit the Quizlet website and load the flashcard set you want to use.
- If your extension has the option, highlight the text you want read. This will save you from having to hear it read the page headings every time.
- Again, if you have the option, change the voice and voice speed to make the information easier to follow.
How to Use Text to Speech for Quizlet Smartphone App
Quizlet has a smartphone app, which also doesn’t have a dedicated text to speech service. The easiest way to get around this is to use your phone’s integrated text to speech service, if it has one.
On an Android device:
- Go to Settings and tap Languages.
- Select Input and choose Text-to-Speech output.
- Once this is turned on, your phone should read the information on your screen when you load the Quizlet app.
On an iPhone:
- Go to Settings and select Accessibility.
- Choose Spoken Content and adjust settings in the Speak Selection.
- It should then read information on screen when you open the Quizlet app.
How to Customize Audio on Quizlet
There are two different most used features that you can arrange on Quizlet.
- Slower Pronunciation
For people who just began to learn a language, automatic speaking might sound too fast. So, the students can choose to listen to the audio slower thanks to this feature.
- More Detailed Auditory Explanations
In some Flashcards, teachers who have prepared them record more detailed explanations than the ones written on the cards. So, the students can benefit from further knowledge by listening while they also read the written knowledge.
Pros and Cons of Text to Speech on Quizlet
There are numerous benefits – but also some drawbacks – of using text to speech on Quizlet.
- Text to speech technology can make flashcards easier to retain and digest, depending on your learning style.
- Good AI technology can help with the pronunciation of foreign languages, provided the service can read your chosen language.
- Copying flashcards into an audio file means you can use them when on the go, such as when traveling, or in other situations where you can’t use your phone screen.
- Quizlet doesn’t have its own text to speech service, meaning you’ll need to use a third-party product.
- In turn, this can add cost to an otherwise free-to-use website. Depending on the service you use, this could limit access.
Frequently Asked Questions About Text to Speech on Quizlet
The easiest way to use speech to text on Quizlet is with a third-party service. Use a transcription website to convert your speech to text, which you can then copy onto the website as needed.
Quizlet offers the ability to answer quizzes using recorded audio. Click the microphone icon to record your answer or audio, which is then submitted as part of the file. The option currently doesn’t exist on the mobile app, though.
To select your microphone, open Quizlet and go to System Preferences. Choose Sound and then Input. From there, you just choose the microphone you want to use as your audio input.
Quizlet provides its users with 18 different languages in Text to Speech feature including Romanian, Greek, Dutch, and Finnish with its latest update.